Monday, July 8, 2019

New GE Designs Block

     Gudrun of GE Quilt Designs released block 3 in the "A Stroll in Paris" block of the month program on July 6th. She asked that we wait to share photos until she released her video for the 3rd block. You can view this at: https://www.facebook.com/gudrun.e.gisladottir/videos/10220221192422688/ and be sure to join Gudrun's Quilt Crew on Facebook to see all the blocks people are sharing. Some are doing colors as directed, but others, like me, are having trouble following directions. I just can't use neutrals and taupe for my blocks.



     This is my oldest kitty, Seamus, who was a skinny, dirty stray when he was turned in to the New Hampshire SPCA. He's a big kitty, about 15 pounds and a lot of that is fur. I spend a lot of time vacuuming fur! He was going to help me trim my blocks but I convinced him I needed the space to press them first. He doesn't like the iron at all, especially when it steams at him.

     I was out this morning and slow to get to the machine today, so I did not make a lot of progress on the blocks. These are the centers of the blocks that I need to square up to 5.5". I am using GE Designs Stripology Squared Mini Ruler to trim my center blocks. 


     I've got arrow stickers at the 2 slots I need to use to trim this block to 5.5". The ruler has diagonal dashed lines that I'm using to position it on the block correctly. Two cuts, turn the mat 90 degrees, reposition the ruler, two more cuts and you are done. Love it! 


     You may notice that the bars of the X are two different fabrics. I am working from a fat quarter collection (large) and did not have enough of either to do both sides. I thought about using 1 fabric for each of the 2 backgrounds I'm doing, but couldn't decide which should have which fabric. So, here's my solution. Both background blocks will have both navy fabrics. One group has this configuration, the other has a solid small flower fabric with the multicolor print in 2 pieces. It wasn't intentional, it just worked out that way. Almost like I planned it! 😄

     This is the trimmed center of block 3. I may not make much progress tomorrow, either, due to a back procedure at 9 am. I don't know how much it will hurt or how I'll feel afterwards. New doctor, new injection. But this is at UConn Health Services in Farmington, CT. We are lucky here with both Uconn Health and Yale within an hour drive. My sister is taking me due to some amount of anesthesia. So it may be nap time when I get back home.

Thanks for visiting! More tomorrow.
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment