Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Pumpkins!

I have decided I'm going to take a hint from Suzy Webster (https://www.websterquilt.com/) and try to post something every day. I usually spend the late afternoon/early evening working on something. And I have the habit of multiple projects active at a time. I'm not even going to mention all of the projects I have on hold.

I have been a subscriber to the Fat Quarter Shop monthly Sew Sampler Box for a couple years. I do try to make the projects each month as they arrive, but I'm not always successful. I am a notion junkie so I love to see what fun things are in the box. The projects are often smallish, and quickly made, and always cute. Some months I order more fabric of the box line so that I can make the quilt project larger.


I am bringing this up for a reason. I purchased this pattern, Witches Night Out, a couple months ago and I'm working on it now. I am fond of fall and Halloween is my favorite holiday to decorate for. With the pattern booklet, I got a starter fat quarter bundle. I found a nice background fabric in my stash, and off I go!


I remembered I had the Alphabitties letter and number tiles in a drawer, having received them in a Sew Sampler Box. And I recently ordered the design board to use when laying out a specific project. The board is 18" square and the surface is felt so your pieces will stick a bit. And the letter tiles combined with it gave me a very organized (and I like organized) method of cutting and marking all the pieces needed for the 4 small 5" pumpkins.






The pumpkin blocks have so many seams it got a little tricky to get the block flat. Also, to get the chevron pattern to work you needed to match your points between sections just so. You can see the 1/4" end of my purple thang I used to check the seams.













Of course, Walnut felt the need to be front and center during my cutting. He is such a love, draped over my lap like that.




Here are my finished four chevron pumpkin blocks. They are 5-1/2" and will measure 5" in the quilt.

I love all the different sized blocks in this project. And several blocks are individual Halloween images, including a cat, a bat, a cauldron and a witch's hat.

I will continue working on blocks for this quilt as I have a little sewing time and nothing pressing to do.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my posts. I'm glad I'm finally getting back to blogging. It makes such a great record of what I am sewing at the time of the post.

I have several original patterns that I need to get sent to QuiltWoman to be published. Perhaps we'll do a sew along using one of them once I get it published.

Thanks for visiting!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment