Tuesday, May 10, 2016

May is for Makers

Well, I’m a week and a day late (and a dollar short as Dad always said) but I’m finally doing my first May is for Makers #mayisformakers. I planned to join in the fun last Monday but was unable. If you are a personal friend you saw my post on Facebook. To sum it up I lost my husband and had a heart attack on April 30. I got my laptop yesterday and spent all day today reading emails from the last 10 days. So that delayed my first post. Now, I can’t wait to get out of rehab and go home.

I did add my two published patterns to Craftsy and they can be purchased as a dpayment igital download there. You need to create an account but it is free. You can control the marketing emails you receive as well. They only accept Paypal for but that lets you use credit cards or your bank account to pay.  It's very easy and very secure. I've used it for 15 years and there has never been any security issues. Craftsy as a marketplace is unusual because it does not take a cut. If you purchase an $8.00 pattern I receive $8.00. I have three more designs in some stage of creation but would be interested in a couple testers? If you are local and want more information please contact me.

I just gotten a Brother Scan ‘n Cut CM650W (no affiliation, but see it here) the day before everything happened. I haven’t even tried it yet! But I plan to start making fabulous machine appliquéd quilts. So for my first May is for Makers pattern I purchased Whoo Knows? from a Craftsy seller, Fat Cat Patterns. I started browsing there because there is such a large selection of patterns for sale. Anyway, I have loved owls since my high school years in the 70’s. I had a pretty cool collection of ceramic owls back then. Wonder where they went? I didn’t take them away to college…
Image (c) Fat Cat Patterns

Whoo Knows? has lots of different owls that look like a good way to really learn how to use my Scan ‘n Cut. The pattern I downloaded has 70 pages and is listed as needing an intermediate level of quilting knowledge. The author, Sindy, says she designed it for her daughter, and I know owls are popular again. The instructions start with yardage requirements and some general hints. Then you get cutting and sewing instructions for the two different base blocks constructed to place the appliqué on. You can also cut the borders at this time, or wait till later.

A nice numbered layout of where each block and owl will go in the assembled quilt is next. The diagrams are both line drawings and color images. 65 pages for the individual owl appliqués with a block line drawing, color image, and individual templates are provided. The templates have lines with or without seam allowance so you can choose the style of appliqué you use. Every block has the total dimension, and how large to cut each of the appliqué pieces of fabric. The only thing I could possibly say is missing are grain lines on the curved piece templates to help those not that familiar with appliqué. I started sewing making clothing and grain lines are much more important there than when quilting. Your quilt will have all the layers stabilized by the final quilting stitches and if you use fusible web backed appliqué it won’t matter at all!

On the back of the pattern I found the designer’s website, www.fatcatpatterns.com. What a fun collection of original designs. There are also two Blocks of the Month, already in progress. She has a whole page of free patterns so you can see how well her patterns are written before you purchase any. I just started reading the blog but will definitely return to browse farther back. She also has a Facebook page. I hope everyone knows that you don't need a Facebook account to look at public pages. Do take a look at Fat Cat Patterns.

Thanks so much for reading, and I'll be back soon with my next post soon,
Mary

9 comments:

  1. I did not know the entire benefits of Garmin Nuvi Update. But since I have read this blog on map update, I have installed all available updates for my garmin device. I must say that this piece of blog has helped me improve navigation experience. I am not suggesting all my friends to read this blog and get Garmin map update with this team. For detailed information, you can contact sus at toll-free number +1 888-309-0939. Our Garmin GPS professionals will provide instant help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to explore more about how does Roku work? We have dedicated team of experienced Roku Professionals to help people with all possible Roku link device related queries. Roku devices give you a license to download movie streaming channels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog will enlighten you in brief with the steps to download Garmin connect Expresson windows and also to update the same on various devices such as Windows and Mac.In Garmin Express tracks, analysis and shares your health and fitness activities from your Garmin device. We will be pleased to help you with Garmin express related requirements, latest free map updates, and updates for all Garmin devices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using Garmin express application you can connect with your friends and family so as to boost up and compete in monthly or weekly challenges. Garmin Express to update maps and software, sync with Garmin Connect and register your device.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are watching FuboTV on a web browser on your PC, then try reloading the FuboTv. Users can refressh with press CTRL and F5 keys together on the FuboTV webpage to execute a hard refresh. You can verify it by connecting other devices to the internet and check the speed.FuboTV app resolves most Fubo streaming platform errors. It is effortless to connect with some basic steps only. Thus, FuboTv is available at a meager cost compared to any cable TV and offers enhanced flexibility.
    Fubo.Tv/Connect

    ReplyDelete
  6. FuboTV from two areas the utilization of a TV device, you’ll gather a message that you have too many devices in use. You will have to end streaming on TV devices in exceptional locations in order to proceed observing your stream. fubo activate enter code

    ReplyDelete