Wednesday, May 11, 2016

101 Patchwork Patterns - Quilt Block of the Week

This is the 100th anniversary of the first pattern, Quaddy Quiltie, published in 1916 by Ruby Short McKim. You can see much more about Ruby’s patterns on the website her granddaughter runs, www.mckimstudios.com. They are also doing the original Flower Basket Quilt as a block of the month in conjunction with The Kansas City Star. The pattern is available on McKim Studios website, and 25+ shops are offering the program. A detailed list is available on the website.

ln honor of this important milestone, I have decided to do a sampler quilt using blocks from Ruby’s classic book, 101 Patchwork Patterns. I’ve created a medallion layout that utilizes 61 block patterns and 1 border pattern from the book.

Block of the Week Sampler Quilt

Here is a blank layout for the quilt I’ve designed. If you make the quilt just as I’ve drawn you will have a 92” x 92” queen sized bed quilt. I’m going to post a block pattern every Wednesday. We will start with the center next week and it is only squares and strips. They will get progressively harder from there. Some weeks I may offer a pieced and an appliqued block so you’ll have a choice in which blocks you use. You also have the choice of leaving off the pieced border which would yield an 84” x 84” quilt. 

(c) Mary Furber - Drawn with Electric Quilt 

I will show samples colored with traditional 30s fabric, and with batiks. I’m not sure what I’m going to make my quilt with. All my drawings are done in Electric Quilt, version 7. I’m able to import images of most any fabric to try it in the blocks. I guess it will be a surprise. Blocks will remain free until 30 days past the end of the program. At this time it will be packaged for sale.

I do hope you will join me on this quilting adventure.

Mary


3 comments: