Tuesday, April 12, 2016

ClubEQ Challenge

I decided to do the ClubEQ Challenge this month for the first time. The post reads:

April 2016 Challenge (http://doyoueq.com/clubeq)
Design a quilt using a quilt layout from the Layout Library – Stars. Use only the Stars category of layouts, but you may choose any of the layout styles there. You can find the layouts in Libraries > Layout Library > Basics by Style > Stars. 

- Barb Vlack

So, I started with the Stars #47 layout (on a green square so you can see it). As inspiration, I used a plate from a book my husband found online. It is of Bulgarian embroidery, titled Bulgarski Narodni Shevitsi, and copyright 1928.


And here is what I came up with. This quilt measures 50” square. It is partially rotary cut and pieced, partially paper pieced and includes a little applique. It was a challenge to draw the blocks on the square drawing board and have them end up what I wanted in the diamond shaped holes of the layout template. The elephant's trunk is a good example. A little math and some trial and error and I’m happy with the results. I have submitted this for the April ClubEQ Challenge. All the entries can be seen at: http://doyoueq.com/clubeq/.

I am planning to do some Electric Quilt tutorials and the square into a diamond block drawing would be a good one. Let me know in the comments or by email if you’d like to start with the basics or see some intermediate to advanced techniques.

Thanks,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment