Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Trip to Lancaster, PA

I've been traveling for over a week, and I'm glad to be home. I went to Connecticut, then my sister and I went to Pennsylvania for the AQS Show in Lancaster. We arrived there last Tuesday and the show opened on Wednesday. There was a heavy snow storm on Wednesday so we had the place almost to ourselves. The only trouble was getting supper in the hotel. All the neighboring restaurants in downtown had closed so it was an hour wait for our food. Ugh - dinner at 8:30 is a bit late! Oh well, it all worked out. Sorry, I don't remember the specific categories, but here are the winners:

This quilt is by Margaret Solomon Gunn of Gorham, ME. The quilt is titled Taking the Unmapped Road and is 71" x 71".  You can see more of Margaret's work here.

This is Turkish Treasures by Pat Holly from Ann Arbor, MI, 67" x 73".  I have seen at least one of her quilts at a previous show and the level of detail in the applique is amazing. She has a gallery here.

This quilt is called Fantastic! It was made by Junko Fujiwara from Japan, and is all hand appliqued and hand quilted. It really is fantastic.

The last featured winning quilt is this beauty by Janet Stone titled Garden Variety Sampler, 68" x 90". I have seen her quilts before and as with Pat Holly she has a recognizable style. She designed a block of the month for The Quilt Show a few years ago. I can't find any specific web page for her. If you search you'll see lots that have won previous awards.

The other thing I was very happy to see was the Vincent Van Gogh Cherrywood exhibit. If you don't know, Cherrywood Fabrics are hand dyed and look like they are suede. I am working on a machine embroidered quilt using their fabric. Maybe I'll share as I go, but maybe I'll save it for a big reveal!

I took photos of many quilts and have created a photo album on my Facebook page. If you have a chance to see the AQS Show at another location be sure to. They attract amazing entries.

We took the opportunity of being in Lancaster to do some shopping, too. I've got lots of new fabric (I love fat quarters) and a new cordless iron. The other thing I purchased is a 3/8" thick LED light box.

We had a good trip despite the snow storm!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment