Sunday, January 14, 2018

New Toy

I signed up for a Saturday Sampler block of the month today. Each month, you bring the previous block completed and you get the next one free. I've participated in this program at Knight's Quilt Shop in Cape Neddick, ME, since I closed my shop in 2011, with the exception of last year. This is the quilt we will be making this year.

I bought a new Accuquilt Go Big Cutter the beginning of January. There was a package deal with the electronic cutter and 6", 8", 9" and 12" basic block die sets. Plus it came with 2-1/2" strip cutter, a 6" flying geese cutter and some Edyta Sitar applique shapes. It just arrived on Friday so this was the first time I used it.

The block to be made for January is all half square triangle units. I pulled the die for that shape and size from the block set. It was very easy to use because the kit had strips of fabric already cut. 


I folded the strip till it was the correct number of layers needed. The die has two triangles on it so I needed half the number of fabric layers as pieces needed.


Place the cutting mat on top of the fabric. (not the same fabric but you get the idea.)


Then run it through the machine. I love that you don't need to crank it through. You just push it against the rollers and it pulls it through.


Remove the cutting mat and you have your pieces. So quick and easy. And my arm won't hurt from rotary cutting any more!


The pieces are notched, making them super easy to sew together.


My block was made in no time. I'm very happy with the cutter so far. It hasn't really been put to the test yet, but it was easy to use and worked great.

Stay warm!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment