Sunday, January 8, 2017

Project Quilting - 8 is Great

Hello! I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. I went to Connecticut to visit my family for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I developed a problem with my right arm the beginning of November. It was so painful I was having to eat with my left hand. I went to the doctor, who sent me to an orthopedic doctor. He ordered an MRI to check for torn things, but all was well. So I had 6 weeks of physical therapy and was told to rest my arm as much as possible. So rotary cutting, sewing, even typing was too painful. I was finally discharged by the doctor on Thursday and given the OK to resume normal activity. With the understanding that I'd go slow, and rest when it hurts. I am frustrated but glad to be spending time sewing again.


You may be familiar with Persimon Dreams Kim Lapacek's Project Quilting. You can read all about it but the short story is she issues several challenges and you have a week to post your entry. Lots of prizes are available, but the main point is to challenge yourself creatively. The first challenge, issued on January 1, was "8 is Great." This is the eighth year of Project Quilting. I have wanted to participate in the past but never completed anything. I decided this was the time to join. I spent the week making this small quilt.
18" x 18"

It is from a pattern by Elizabeth Hartman called Octagonal Orb. I simply Googled "eight" and started looking through the images that came up. I was hoping to find something that would inspire an idea, but found this pattern instead. I love it! I just happened to have a 10" square package of Island Batiks on hand. 
I divided the fabrics up into three piles: dark, medium and light. Choosing six from each, I made the rings of the orb go from dark in the middle to medium to light on the outside. I just love the pastel colors and wanted to have more of those, so the largest outside ring was the best position. I have yardage of the grey on hand, Charcoal Kona Cotton.
 

This was a fun project to make. Now, as the Project Quilting challenges continue, I need to work on my quilting. This is just stitched in the ditch around each ring. I need to practice a bit and just go for it on the next challenge. 

Now that I am sewing a bit again I will return to the Ruby Short McKim 101 Patchwork Patterns quilt. The next block will be available in a couple days. 

Mary

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, and you certainly outdid yourself with this one for PQ right out of the gate! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trish. Two months away from my sewing machine and pc were very boring. Glad to be back!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your back sewing again (at least a little). So happy you joined in the challenge! Love your quilt and how you went about making it. I'ts gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete