Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I made slippers!

I have recently been reading more and more sewing blogs, and found a pattern for slippers.  There is a great step-by-step tutorial at http://www.sewcando.com/2012/07/making-slip-on-slippers-how-to.html.
You use a pair of sneakers, or something similar, to create a pattern.  I used a pair of leather scuffs that fit me well.  Then you cut outside fabric, lining, fusible fleece and Timtex, or Pellon's version, Peltex.  I have bolts of various Pellon products on hand so that's what I used.



I always use a pressing sheet when working with fusibles.  I don't want my iron or my ironing board to get gunked up by the glue. 
Once all your pieces are prepared, you sew the top and bottom together, leaving the heel open to turn.  It was a little fussy around the toe, but easier than I expected.
And here they are.  The blue fabric with birds is actually a decorator weight fabric I got on sale to make a tote bag.  I fussy cut the birds but I think I still have plenty to make the bag.

Fun stuff - I'll be making more of these!  Thanks to Cheryl at Sew Can Do for the great tutorial.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Mary! I love the bird fabric you chose and so happy to see some slippers made with my tutorial - thanks for sharing this with me:)

    ReplyDelete